The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Transit Historical Society, Inc. is a Wisconsin-chartered historical society, whose objective is to “preserve the memories of electric transit in Milwaukee, and around the world.” Our main focus is on the once vast The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Co. system, including everything from streetcar operations in Milwaukee, Appleton and Racine, to the interurbans that served Sheboygan, Kenosha, Watertown and East Troy. The Chicago, North Shore & Milwaukee also served Milwaukee; and is our other major focus. However, Wisconsin also had many other interesting electric operations in such places as Oshkosh, Madison, Green Bay and Marinette, and we are always looking for more information on these other areas.
The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Transit Historical Society, Inc. (TMER&THS) is a non-profit, State chartered, educational organization founded in 1983. Our goal is to preserve the memories and artifacts of electric railway history in Milwaukee and around the world.
It was in 1947 that the last Milwaukee Electric interurbans sped through the countryside. In 1958 the last of Milwaukee’s orange and cream streetcars trundled their way across the famous Wells Street viaduct and 1963 since the last North Shore Line train left for Chicago. TMER&THS endeavors to bring the memories of these and other electric transit operations back to life through print, pictures and programs.